After a quick think, I came up with an initial list to use when assessing a website that requires students to create accounts to access functionality.
- Is the website, service or product directly related to the education market?
- What are the risks? What can be done to eliminate or control those risks? Risks will include: duty of care, communication, information sharing ...
- Age of students. There are often statements about 13+ and 18+
- Nature of information required to create an account
- Controversial Issues in NSW public schools and other relevant DET Policy.
- Is there any sorted or unsorted mature or adult content available on the site. Media rating and student viewing regulations to to be understood.
- How toxic or disruptive is the advertising on the site?